Surfing is a fantastic way to enjoy the ocean and get some exercise. But like any activity, there are some risks involved. Minor injuries and ear clogging are two common problems that surfers face.
- Scrapes and cuts: These are the most common type of minor injury that surfers get. They are usually caused by falling on the board or on the reef.
- Bruises: These are caused by blunt force trauma, such as hitting the bottom of the ocean or being hit by your board.
- Sunburn: Surfers are at high risk for sunburn because they spend so much time in the sun.
Surfers’ ears are often clogged with water, sand, and wax. This can cause hearing loss and earaches.
Preventing Minor Injuries and Ear Clogging
There are a few things you can do to prevent minor injuries and ear clogging when surfing:
- Wear a wetsuit: This will protect your skin from the sun and from scrapes and cuts.
- Use a rash guard: This will protect your skin from the sun and from chafing.
- Wear a helmet: This will protect your head from injury.
- Wear ear plugs: This will prevent water from getting in your ears.
- Rinse your ears with clean water after surfing.
- Use ear drops to dry out your ears.
Treating Minor Injuries and Ear Clogging
- Scrapes and cuts: Clean the wound with soap and water. Apply a bandage if necessary.
- Bruises: Apply ice to the bruise to reduce swelling.
- Sunburn: Apply aloe vera or a cool compress to the sunburn.
- Ear clogging: Rinse your ears with clean water. Use ear drops to dry out your ears.
When to See a Doctor
If you have a minor injury that is not healing properly, or if you have ear pain that does not go away after a few days, see a doctor.
Surfing is a great activity, but it is important to be aware of the risks involved. By following the tips in this article, you can help to prevent minor injuries and ear clogging.
- Warm up before surfing. This will help to prevent injuries.
- Cool down after surfing. This will help to prevent muscle soreness.
- Stay hydrated. This will help to prevent fatigue and muscle cramps.
- Eat a healthy diet. This will help to give you the energy you need to surf.
- Get enough sleep. This will help your body to recover from surfing.
By following these tips, you can enjoy all the benefits of surfing without having to worry about minor injuries and ear clogging.